Friday, May 24, 2013

The top 10 things about 2012-2013 from "a certain point of view."

The top 10 things about 2012-2013 from "a certain point of view." 

As far as ranking these momentous events, I'm putting out the disclaimer that they are subject to change / re-ranking, as I'm a notorious tweaker of rankings.

#10: Deciding to enroll in "Masters class"
I've been sort of putting it off for a couple of years, with good reason: a trip to Europe, getting married, having a baby (my wife did the work, not me...this isn't the 90's and a Schwarzeneggar flick - Junior ref! BLAMMO). So, this is a big deal for me. I've always wanted to get it in English / Literature / Film, but due to the inaccessibility and time commitments of said programs for teachers, I couldn't do it - and perhaps its in my future. This masters class is more applicable to making my life more efficient in the classroom, though, especially with my project's emphasis, so I think it's a great fit at the moment.

#9: Finally getting an ipad with which to plan my curriculum
I hope that doesn't sound entitled, but we had to fight for those suckers, and I'm going to be using an all-online textbook next year, with Schoology as a base for distributing stuff, so I needed to get cracking on that stuff right away.

#8: Shuffling classes
It just came out this week that some of the classes for next year will be shuffled, and I'll get a chance to re-work and re-invent a class that I've had my eye on. I can't reveal it at this time, as prying eyes may reveal a secret that cannot be revealed at this time, but I taught this level during my student teaching, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

#7: Revising my grading method with regard to essays
It's going to hopefully save me a lot of time and effort, and provide better results for students as well. 'Nuff said.

#6: Competing Pre-AP English blogs' creations
Two students created blogs honoring Pre-AP English 9! This is great because it makes me feel as if they like the class (even though I am blamed for ruining 4.0's too often), and appreciate my teaching's sensibilities and style. They are cool kids, and make my job worth doing! Also, they take neat pictures of adventures, such as our trip to the Guthrie theater.


#5: Having my wife come back to work following maternity leave
She teaches across the hall from me, and without good ol' Ms. Neibs in her classroom across the hall from me, the "loft" (our upstairs portion of the school that no-one but the teachers that teach up there likes to ascend the staircases to reach) seemed a bit more empty than usual. Also, she has Cheez Its over there for when I've scarfed all of mine. Colby rules.

#4: Working with students who care
Nothing is more satisfying to me, teacher-wise, than working with students who are invested with and care about what they're doing in and for the school. I get the chance to work with the student council, coach basketball, and teach classes that students (not all, but quite a few) care about and enjoy, and that environment is an incredibly satisfying and enjoyable way to spend my days.

#3:Getting a "holiday" present for the first time in my 7-year career
I'm jealous of my elementary school friends who rake in over $300-$400 of gift cards every year, so I guilted my students into honoring my efforts. I received a pencil and a mug! Booyaa! If there were a "not top 10," however, it would be when said mug got kicked by another student and the handle broke off. The student looked at it, did not apologize, and walked away. What the cuss.

#2: Having students like The Catcher in the Rye
It is my favorite novel to teach, by far, for many reasons, but the real thrill of it is getting students to realize that novels aren't always about intricate plotting or big twists or overt sappiness (which, as 9th graders, can sometimes be the stuff they've been reading on their own). Teaching them to empathize with a character who is also alienating at times, as well as understand "How authors 'mean'" is a major accomplishment for my profession, and no novel helps me do that more than Catcher. As a sidenote, I know that I'm doing something right when I can make students tear up at the concepts or characters in the novel, and I did it using this very novel. Heck, their emotional response to Holden's circumstance got to me as well, and frequently does when re-reading it, under the right circumstances - that's quality stuff to me.

This moment "forced" its way into my top 10.

#1: R2-D2
A student found him at a garage sale; purchased him for $10.00; brought him to school; celebrations commenced! One can't underestimate the importance of a good astromech droid.


4 comments:

  1. Dusty,
    I'm in love with your R2-D2. You give me the word and I can whip you up a Jedi costume. I made one for my son this summer for Halloween and it was amazing. I also like your quote at the beginning of your Top Ten. I wonder how many people will recognize it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your list is much more interesting than mine, I think this means I've had a boring year! I didn't know your wife taught across the hall from you... is it ever weird always having her right there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only when she steals my Colby Cheez-Its.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you mentioned starting the masters program. I feel silly that I didn't include that as it is probably one of the biggest moves I have made this year. I have been putting off the masters program for a while too, but I have just been trying to keep the band together.

    ReplyDelete