Friday, February 21, 2014

Draft Data Analysis

Dusty Neibauer
M.J. and Wild Bill
M.E.D. Program
21 February 2014
Data Analysis Draft
            At first glance, the respondents to the survey questions that I’ve asked them have largely backed up what I think to be the typically-perceived notion of feedback on writing, which I think I can sum up with this quotation: “Tell me what to fix so I can fix it.” While many students actively disregarded much of the specific feedback I gave them regarding grammatical issues, including more specific examples, and (most out of line with my intent) positive feedback, most seemed to appreciate what I was trying to do with the feedback. I am not quite done collecting the data, however – I plan on having two more classes take the survey next week, and that should wrap it up.
            The area of commentary students said was the most helpful to them as writers was “needs improvement” syntax-related feedback. This is not surprising, but slightly discouraging. I think it’s going to take some time in fleshing out my own instructional methods and establishment of the tone of the assignments to shift this over to students valuing positive syntax-related feedback. I want them to try and emulate the things they do better, as opposed to focusing on the things they do poorly. I’d also like them to realize that the feedback regarding their thesis statements should be valued the most, as it’s worth the most on their essays and is absolutely key to their success!

            When asked what sorts of feedback will help improve their next essays, 25% of students said that they’d like more negative syntax-related feedback, and that was the second-highest category (27% said they’d like more “quality of content”-related feedback). Again, this tells me that I have to help establish my tone, goals, and perceptions of the assignments so that students know that I want them to succeed, emulate their successes, and focus on the positive aspects of their writing. This will be helped by further developing our curriculum, which is currently in its first year of implementation and development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment