Saturday, March 16, 2013

While I'm working on assignments, I'm finding that I can get work done fairly quickly, as I have had limited time to work on them, since naptime has been shortening for my daughter Elise. So, it's satisfying to be able to check off assignments when they're done.

I've been reaffirming to myself that I am, however, not a great multitasker, which I guess I already knew. I need to devote myself completely to the task at hand; otherwise, I find that I've got 7-8 different programs running, burning a cd, clicking on this and that with wondrous abandon.

As far as questions go, I'm wondering what I should do for my CIQ Matrixes for the next 6 weeks, as I'm taking paternity leave. Also, I'm not sure if the assignments tab is working for me yet, as the papers going through the St. Mary's offices are moving at a beurocratic pace.

I'm wondering whether my research question is what I want to pursue. I know I'm interested in the outcomes, but I'd also like to do some literature-based analysis; I sometimes wonder if I could somehow work two research questions in there (though I know that's not a feasible option).


Regarding the TED talk by Brown -

I think that encouraging students to take risks is a huge component to modern education. One of my esteemed colleagues mentioned that this generation, or an upcoming one, will have their whole lives potentially documented digitally. That sort of leads to a homogenezation of self - people are conforming more to what they could see of themselves online according to someone else's vision of self. So, to get students to take those risks in stepping outside of the norms of academia, especially with regard to things they're not well-versed in, one must encourage them to be vulnerable, take chances, and innovate through taking chances.  Without being personally vulnerable, individuals won't create new things, and won't drive their areas forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment