Friday, November 8, 2013

growth mindset

I've been a bit jaded about the growth mindset of late. I've like seeing that the results of my research have been coming back with good...well, results on student achievement, but I'm not sensing a change in students' perceptions of themselves as students, and, especially, their willingness to engage with their own educations and the people around them. Part of this is the distraction of doing things on the ipad, and the thing about it is, that they are, by and large, complaining about using the ipad. It ticks me off. It makes me think that my students are entitled, and are so used to using their multiple opportunities to engage with something fully for nothing  but social media and playing games, and that being acceptable to not only them but their parents, peers, and society at large, that I just want to rage until their brains are forced to look up and see opportunity and sense gratitude instead of discontent and mopeyness. Even the Pre-AP students are seeming unwilling to stretch their limits, and would rather confirm their already-significant individual intelligence. This, of course, is the definition of having a fixed mindset; I'm not immune to sensing irony in this blog post. I'm the one that is in charge of trying to shift the culture, at least within my own classroom, and so I must wage a 1-man culture war on apathy and angst.
To do this, I've been working on responding to their writing in different and more positive ways, and I need to adapt that, whole-hog, to the entire classroom and the context with which we do things in it. If I can show them that trying and failing can not only be beneficial, but fun, then I perhaps have a chance at making them see that education is something that one must strive to be better at and embrace, instead of fighting and complaining about it every reluctant step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment