Tuesday, December 3, 2013

1. action research / data collection

My original plans were to collect data for every section of the English classes that I was writing; I was going to have so much, and it was to be so smooth! However, I ran into a buzz saw known as "the overload" and was so besieged by essays to grade at the end of the trimester that I found out it was not only impossible to teach the essays the way that I wanted and intended to, but that I couldn't very well gather data for the essays as they'd just be irrelevant to what I was trying to do. So, I got data from two different classes: Pre-AP English 10A, and Composition 12. I am, however, thinking that if I can extend the period of data collection to december I could perhaps gather data on an extra 2 classes - so that'd be rad!

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe how long it takes to grade essay papers. That is one thing that I don't miss teaching the upper grades. It is pretty easy to grade Kindergarteners' papers! :) I think that using data from 2 different classes would be just fine but you can always try for more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember final paper is not due until March, you have plenty of time to get in some extra data collection. Don't feel pressured to rush. I have realized in my own teaching if I feel pressured to get something done because I need it done within a certain timeline the quality of my results are not what I expected. When I take the time I need to get it done the way I need/want my results tend to not only more accurate but prove to be higher academically. (Mostly I think the kids can sense my anxious or calming demeanor and perform differently in response)

    ReplyDelete