Tuesday, December 3, 2013

LEAP!

As far as taking on leadership roles that are extra in the school year, I'd say my dance card is quite full. I co-run the student council with Drew (shout out). I coach JV girls basketball. I mentor a new teacher (that's the new thing I am doing). I lead sessions for the mentors of the 9th graders and the transition team for them. On top of all of that, I also had overload this trimester. So, I think I'll just call the last 3 months the "Oh Shit!" months, as that was pretty much my state throughout.  I know for a fact that I was a less effective leader throughout this time, but what can one do when faced with insurmountable odds than do what one can? So, I tried my best, and am now through the worst of it. I grew a very small amount through the experiences, I'd say, but mentoring a new teacher is a satisfying experience that leads to good team cohesion, friendliness, and fresh perspectives. It also helps that we're re-doing the 10th grade curriculum, and having 2 new members of our department to help flesh it all out is a great thing - it allows us to re-make it into something that is current, relevant, and modern; it also has the added benefit of allowing the new teachers a voice in what and how they teach, and that is something that I think they are excited about and thankful for.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a rough 3 months. But just think if you can do all that you can do anything (well except have a baby...I got you beat on that one!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dusty, that is a lot to take on. I commend you in all your extra curriculars in addition to mainstream teaching and masters program. As much as you might feel that your teaching took a backseat I am confident to say I know your teaching continued to be top notch. I believe all your new perspectives /extra duties merely changed your teaching style to accommodate your workload, making you feel as though the quality was decreasing when in reality it was just a different (possibly uneasy feeling) path pushing you toward further greatness!

    ReplyDelete