Tuesday, January 28, 2014

One-Word Plan

1. Tolerance
a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.


Because humans are imperfect, and incapable of love, understanding, and even empathy over a broad spectrum beyond the immediately personal, “tolerance” is a good word for people to be able to adopt as a working motto or ethos to strive toward. If one tolerates another, one is still able to disagree, see the world differently, and even debate him/her; however, one is still coexisting with said individual, and will respect his or her right to an opinion, viewpoint, and worldview (as long as it isn’t actively malicious and/or harming others, that is). 

Entry 1:
I find that I am unaffected by my thinking of this word personally; I already try and make this concept one of the things that I teach; because of my position as an English teacher, when introducing literature and essays of various persuasion, I often speak of politics, society, religion, and how people of varying position and culture see the world they inhabit - this lends itself to the concept of tolerance of others- especially since we are in a country that originally made it its ethos (and, of course, has largely ineffectively conveyed to its populace...in fact, the populace seems to live this concept in spite of itself, at times). I even teach an essay called Tolerance by E.M. Forster! The students take to it with varying degrees of agreement and debate - more on this as I emphasize it specifically in my teaching. 

2 comments:

  1. Dusty-I like your leadership word of tolerance. I've always wondered what it would be like to have a classroom discussion with controversial topics with older students. I'm sure that you've heard many interesting points of view. And what a great place for these students to feel comfortable being able to express their views and opinions in your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dusty- I agree with you about how important tolerance can be. Although I believe that people are not accurately aware of their level of tolerance until put in a situation that tests them (myself included of course). Humans are so habitual that we do not but our self outside of our "comfort zone" very often. Really in pushing yourself to be more tolerant I believe you need to put yourself in new situations. I can't wait to hear what you do.

    ReplyDelete